Tuesday 27 September 2011

GREEN TOMATO CHUTNEY

The tomato plants in my garden have cropped well but I still have a glut of green tomatoes. I have picked these and have lots of them indoors on the windowsills ripening, I am always pleased to use some of the green tomatoes to make Green Tomato Chutney.  I use an old recipe that has been handed down over three  generations.


Chutney originated in India and it is a mixture of fruit, vegetables, spices and sugar with a consistency similar to jam.  It is delicious served with cold meats, cheeses and in sandwiches,  especially in the winter months.  In recent years I have adapted the recipe to make it more spicy as I believe our palates now enjoy more spicy foods. 
This is a cheap chutney to make for me as I have tomatoes, onions and Bramley apples from my garden.  I only need to purchase the spices, sugar and sultanas. As I enjoy cooking I have a good selection of spices etc in my store cupboard.

Ingredients

900g/2 lb Green Tomatoes
450g/1 lb Bramley cooking Apples
450g/1 lb Onions
450g/1 lb Demerara Sugar
225g/8 oz Sultanas
1 level teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
15g/0.5 oz Ground Ginger
50g/2 oz Mustard Seeds
Just under 600ml/1 pint Malt Vinegar
50g/2 oz Salt
Level teaspoonful freshly ground Black Pepper


Method


My original recipe says mince all the solid ingredients.  I just pop them in my food processor and chop them roughly.  It is very quick and easy.  Do not chop too small.



The prepared ingredients in the pot


Place all the chopped ingredients into a large stainless steel pan - I use my stock pot - add the spices, vinegar, seasoning and sugar.  Stir until the sugar dissolves then leave to simmer slowly for an hour to and hour and three quarters.







Simmering gently



Pot in sterilsed pots. I recycle old jars, wash in hot water then heat in the oven. Seal and date.

Store in a cool, dark place.

It is best to keep for one month before using to allow the flavours to develop.  This chutney will keep for a good twelve months.







The finished chutney potted, sealed and labelled.

If you do not have jam pot covers you can use cling film successfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment