Wednesday 27 July 2011

BAKING SESSION

Another family favourite are my Bakewell Almond Slices. Here is my recipe:


Wendy’s Bakewell Almond Slices

Pastry                     Ingredients for filling


150g/6 oz flour
100g/4 oz butter
¼ teaspoon salt
100g/4 oz caster sugar
40g/1 ½ oz butter
1 egg
40g/1 ½ oz lard
25g/1 oz ground almonds

75g/3 oz ground rice

Few drops almond essence

1 -2 tablespoons raspberry jam

                  
Method
Pastry– you know how!

Line a Swiss roll tin with the pastry.

1.     Heat butter in a saucepan till melted, stir in sugar and cook for 1 minute, add egg, almonds, rice and essence.  (I mix this in the pan off the heat).
2.     Spread jam on the pastry with the back of a dessert spoon, pour in the filling.
3.     Bake for 30 minutes till golden.  160◦C your oven may vary.


I usually cover it with baking parchment after 15 minutes to prevent over browning.

Topping

This can be fairly plain.  You can sprinkle flaked almonds on during cooking when once the filling is beginning to set.

Or

My favourite is to toast the flaked almonds in the oven at the end of baking.  Make a small amount of water icing using a few drops of almond essence as well as a very small amount of water.  When the tart has cooled pour the icing over to make lines all over.  Sprinkle the toasted almonds on top to decorate. 

When cold and set, cut into fingers or squares.

Store in an air-tight container.  It keeps well and also freezes well.

Sometimes I make this in a large round flan dish to serve as a dessert.

Today I made one and a half times the stated amounts to make enough to freeze. ( one egg is still OK.)
I packed most of the slices into a freezer proof box and popped a few in a cake tin to enjoy over the next couple of days.

Finally, I made a batch of sausage rolls for the freezer.  I usually make my own rough puff pastry or shortcrust pastry but decided to try a pack of ready made butter puff pastry.  This turned out well and has a good flavour.



Sausage Rolls packed between parchment sheets for freezing


No comments:

Post a Comment